Closing Activity: Mind Map (10 Minutes)
For this activity, we will use the Girl Guides of Canada closing for their International Day of the Girl: Closing the Gap meeting.
- Take four sheets of paper and write “science” in the middle of one of the pieces of paper, then “technology,” “engineering” and “math” on the other three sheets.
- Each piece of paper should have one of these four words in the centre.
- As a unit create a “mind map” of each of these words. o Using crayons, markers, drawings, stickers, etc., ask the girls to consider how they are affected or impacted by these different subject areas.
- Having just completed a unit meeting on STEM, are they thinking about these areas differently than before?
- Did they learn something new, and if so, what?
- Are they inspired to try something new related to STEM? Do they still have questions?
- When they think of engineering are they picturing buildings, roads, and bridges?
- Ask each girl to draw things they use in their daily lives that come from these fields, or even their favourite things related to STEM, on each piece of paper to help create a large mind map of STEM!
- Have the girls read out the stories of notable women in STEM from the Girl Guides meeting, if there is time
- Have each girl complete the short reflection in Appendix 1 to highlight what they have learned.